Saturday, August 3, 2013

Motorola Atrix - Unlocking bootloader and reflashing ICS

I recently tried unlocking the boot loader to load Ice Cream Sandwich onto my Atrix MB860 phone. During the process, I had some difficulties, and wanted to document the steps for future reference (and for other's benefit).

Unlocking bootloader

This webpage(Installing Atrix-MROM on an Atrix 4G with 4.5.145 update) mentioned it is possible to unlock Atrix4G with 2.3.6 Gingerbread and 4.5.145 update using the unlock instructions given here: Automatic bootloader UNLOCK/ROOT for AT&T 1.26/1.57/1.83/4.5.91 [UPDATE 07/31/11]

I followed the instructions in Automatic bootloader UNLOCK/ROOT for AT&T 1.26/1.57/1.83/4.5.91 [UPDATE 07/31/11]. To unlock I used option-1 (Automatic Bootloader Unlock for ATT ATRIX 4G Only), and then selected the option 3 (4.5.91). It threw a "unable to boot" screen, and gave around 10 options (first option was RSD and second was fastboot, and some others followed) and automatically started the fastboot mode - but windows was not able to recognize the device. Since the instructions on the terminal were asking us to select the fastboot mode by pressing  "volume down+power" combo, I removed the battery for 30 seconds and tried it multiple times but the phone was not booting. At last after few trials it booted to fastboot mode. the terminal instructions showed an unlock code and asked me to enter it (probably option3 - Apply FIX for "Failed to boot 0x1000"/ NO OS Users (fastboot) must have been initiated). Later the phone restarted automatically and I reached the "Welcome to MOTOBLUR" screen. During the motorola boot screen, I saw "unlocked" on the top left corner.

This video should help out too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6a0BWquqAc

Flashing ROM

I then selected "Automatic ROOT/CWM for Unlocked ATT ATRIX 4G Only (Tenfar CWM)" for backing up my old ROM.

It is to be noted that the cell battery does not get charged while in the boot menu and connected to a power source (either a computer or the power port on the wall). While trying to flash ROM, I received a "Low battery to flash error". For the battery to charge, I need to flash a ROM and flashing was not possible at the moment.

I purchased an external battery charger like the enercell universal external battery charger and charged the battery completely. Now I was able to flash a new ROM.

I followed the instructions at this XDA forum webpage to solve the soft brick issue during the flash process.

After launching ICS, I was unable to download apps from playstore. So removed the gmail account and re-added it without sync as per this forum .

References:
1. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1182871
2. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2230432&highlight=unlock+bootloader
3. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2262869&highlight=soft+brick
4. http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet/224884-google-play-error-solution-rpc-s-5-aec-0-a.html

1 comment:

  1. the link to the automatic bootloader @ xda is dead, would you happen to have a working link to the file for at&t US version? or have the file and be willing to drop box / google drive -share it? much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete