Saturday, October 15, 2011

How to start Dell Webcam after it stopped working

I have a Dell Inspiron 1440, bought two years back in 2009. Yesterday, my inbuilt webcam was not getting recognized by any application. When I launched Dell Webcam Central it showed a message "Please Plugin a Supported Device". I looked up Dell forums and people suggested to update the Webcam Driver or re-install the Webcam central application.

Re-installing the Webcam central software did not help. I tried looking up for drivers on http://support.dell.com/ website, but the website was down for some reason. Another way to update the driver was to launch Device Manager and look for webcam listing and update driver from there. However, I could not find the "Imaging Device" listing in the Device Manager (Right click computer -> Manage -> Device Manager). After digging through Dell Forums I landed on this page (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19271842/19476201.aspx). One of the last comments suggested to boot in safe mode (pressing F8 before windows OS starts loading once you boot) and look for Imaging Device listing in the Device Manager. I was able to find it in Safe Mode and tried updating the driver. I already had the latest driver. So, I just disabled and enabled the device and rebooted the machine. Now the webcam works fine and I am able to find it listed in Device Manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment